Maria Macias, an Opening Doors' Board Member and immigration attorney based in Lewisville, Texas, has summarized today's announcement by the Department of Justice regarding DACA - Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, as follows:
The Department of Homeland Security has issued a memorandum explaining the winding down of the DACA Program, as follows:
1. It will continue to accept on a case-by-case basis pending initial and renewal applications that were accepted before today.
2. It will reject all DACA initial requests after today
3. It will continue to approve DACA renewal requests from current beneficiaries whose benefits will expire between today and March 5, 2018 whose renewal requests have been filed with USCIS by October 5, 2017.
4. It will not terminate the grants of previously issued deferred action or revoke Employment Authorization Documents for the remaining duration of their validity periods.
5. It will not approve any new Advanced Parole applications but will generally honor the stated validity period for previously approved applications for advance parole. [more]